On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 5:59 PM, Bastian Blank <wa...@debian.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 01, 2016 at 12:13:59AM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > I don't get your thing about tar. Can you explain why we should use tar?
>
> This makes it possible to build small variations without doing the whole
> dance again.  Plus it makes it possible to review if the output is
> reasonable.

I agree that a tar should be provided as one of the outputs yes. This is
one of the formats that Ubuntu Cloud does too ala 'rootfs' (and insert X
usb linux distro here).
It does not however need to be based on a tar if that is what is being
debated (or the master is a tar). Its a completely normal practice to build
an image in mounted loopback with a .img (raw) and then convert that to
desired formats, packages and the root fs into a flat file tar.

For 'transformations' where you modify files or run commands in chroot of
the filesystem that is within the artifact, its actually more dancing to
extract a tarball than it is to simply mount an image in loopback.