On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 04:59:08PM +0100, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
>Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> [Dropping CC to Lou as we've wandered, re-adding Thomas for the GPT
>> question.]
>
>[Lou and i are subscribed to debian-cd, obviously. :))
>It seems you dropped the original poster: The7up <the...@gmail.com>
>who might indeed not be interested in partitioning.]

That's what I've assumed...

>> For the
>> sake of this kind of use-case, is it sensible when driving xorriso to
>> tweak the created partition table to list the ESP as partition 1? At
>> the moment we're just using "-append_partition 2 0xef
>> /path/to/ESP.img", would just changing that to be partition 1 instead
>> work?
>
>That would still work, but leave the ISO fileystem without a partition
>entry to mark it.
>
>The man page of xorrisofs says:
>
>    partition_number may be 1 to 4. Number 1 will put the whole  ISO
>    image  into  the unclaimed space before partition 1.
>
>Minimalistic experiment:
>
>  xorriso -as mkisofs -o test.iso /bin/ls -append_partition 1 0xef /bin/cp
>
>yields (with /bin/ls as ISO payload having ~ 120 KB and /bin/cp as
>appended payload having ~150 KB):
>
>  $ sbin/fdisk -l test.iso
>  Device    Boot Start   End Sectors  Size Id Type
>  test.iso1        364   659     296  148K ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)

>I could tweak libisofs so that the ISO filesystem can appear as partition 2
>but that would be unusual by partition 2 sitting before partition 1.
>
>On the other hand, there is urgent need for an ISO filesystem partition
>only if the reader cannot mount the base device but only its partitions.

Cool, thanks for that. In the cases we're looking at, I don't think
that we need that partition then. I'll have a play with this and a few
other things.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                st...@einval.com
"I used to be the first kid on the block wanting a cranial implant,