[ Gah, sorry - wrote this replay ages ago and apparently failed to
  send it! :-( ]

On Fri, May 24, 2024 at 06:22:42PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'd like to officially contact all our teams to learn about potential
>issues that might affect your work.  I would love to learn how you
>organise / share your workload.  If you do some regular meetings - be it
>on IRC, video conference or whatever I'm interested in joining one of
>your next meetings.

We don't tend to have meetings as such, but we tend to get together
for releases and point releases to work on building and testing. You'd
be more than welcome to join us! :-)

>Like previous DPLs, I'm open to any inquiries or requests for
>assistance. I personally prefer public discussion whenever possible, as
>they can benefit a wider audience. You can find a list of contact
>options at the bottom of my page on people.d.o[1].
>
>I prefer being offline when I'm away from my keyboard, so I don't carry
>a phone. In urgent situations, I can provide the number of my dumb
>phone, though it may not always be within reach. Feel free to ping me
>via email if I don't respond promptly to ensure I address your concerns.
>
>Please let me know whether I can do something for you.  I'm fine joining
>your IRC channel if needed but please invite me in case I should be
>informed about some urgent discussion there since I normally do not lurk
>on this channel.
>
>I'd also like to inform you that I've registered a BoF for DebConf24 in
>Busan with the following description:
>
>  This BoF is an attempt to gather as much as possible teams inside
>  Debian to exchange experiences, discuss workflows inside teams, share
>  their ways to attract newcomers etc.
>
>  Each participant team should prepare a short description of their work
>  and what team roles (“openings”) they have for new contributors. Even
>  for delegated teams (membership is less fluid), it would be good to
>  present the team, explain what it takes to be a team member, and what
>  steps people usually go to end up being invited to participate. Some
>  other teams can easily absorb contributions from salsa MRs, and at some
>  point people get commit access. Anyway, the point is that we work on the
>  idea that the pathway to become a team member becomes more clear from an
>  outsider point-of-view.
>
>I'm sure not everybody will be able to travel this distance but it would
>be great if you would at least consider joining that BoF remotely.  I'll
>care for a somehow TimeZone aware scheduling - if needed we'll organise
>two BoFs to match all time zones.  I'm also aware that we have pretty
>different teams and it might make sense to do some infrastructure
>related BoF with your team and other teams that are caring for Debian
>infrastructure.

ACK. I'll be looking for stuff in the schedule and trying to join
remotely where it makes sense.

>I have some specific questions to the Debian CD team.
>
>  - Do you feel good when doing your work in Debian CD team?

Yep! Especially as we have a good bunch of friends working together.

>  - Do you consider the workload of your team equally shared amongst its
>    members?

Not quite, but it's ok. I'm the primary maintainer of our setup (both
code and archive), and I tend to do most of the builds. But other
people are capable of doing that (Cyril and Andy Simpkins) if
needed. On release weekends, people chip in with whatever time and
skills they have, and we have some non-DD contributors in that set
too.

>  - Do you have some strategy to gather new contributors for your team?

Exactly that - we encourage new people to contribute with testing when
they're interested. In terms of maintenance and development of new
stuff, that's more difficult, but we do have other people helping too.

>  - Can you give some individual estimation how many hours per week you
>    are working on your tasks in youre team?  Does this fit the amount of
>    time you can really afford for this task?

Typically it's no more than a few minutes per week, but that ramps up
a lot when we spend an entire day doing releases. It's bursty! From
time to time I spend a few hours together checking on infrastructure
like snapshots, and I have a few outstanding MRs to pick up.

debian-cd stuff tends to be fine; I have more issues finding time for
other tasks that are more interrupt-driven.

>  - My very personal (not DPL related) hope is that we will see some
>    installer featuring Debian Pure Blends.  What chances do you see
>    to get this happen?

Hmmm. We have history here... :-) What exactly are you hoping to see?
A separate set of installer image(s) with all the Blends included?
Just the normal installer images but with the blends version of
tasksel included? The latter would be very easy, the former much more
effort for not so much gain (IMHO).

>  - Can I do anything for you?

I'm good, thanks. :-)

--