On 2/27/06, Margarita Manterola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 2/21/06, Raul Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > 1 "open source" windows driver available (can be used with ndiswrapper)

> Well, I couldn't find any trace of "1" ever happening.  If it ever
> happened, then it's ok.  But as far as I know, the Ralink company went
> directly to 2 (porting there non-free windows driver to linux, and
> then making it free).  Can you provide any evidence that 1 ever
> happened?

You could be right.  I was going on second-hand evidence, and it
may very well be that the open source drivers that were being ported
were really linux drivers for other ralink hardware.

Note that we have a more general problem here -- we should not
have to find the answer to an open-ended question to determine
the suitability of a package for main.

If a package requires something else to be installed before it can be
used, we shouldn't have to figure out whether or not there exists a
suitable free version of that other software -- if it's not in main, we know
that this other software hasn't been packaged, and that should be
sufficient to push package which requires it be installed into contrib.

--
Raul