Could someone (Steve, most likely) provide a bit of background for how
upstart upstream maintenance works and relates to its packaging?

This question is prompted by a few different things, set off by looking at
the SELinux support since this is something I expect to start looking at
for my day job.  From there, I found that the SELinux context support in
upstart is somewhat limited, but more interestingly is being maintained as
a patch in the Debian package.  (But maybe that's because the Debian
packaging is one version behind?)

I then looked at the Ubuntu patch for upstart and was rather surprised to
find that it's quite large (although a lot of that is regeneration of the
Autotools files -- can I recommend dh-autoreconf?).  There appear to be
substantive code changes in Ubuntu's packaging of upstart that aren't
upstream, which surprised me.

How does this all work?  How do changes flow from Debian and Ubuntu
packaging into upstream, and why would the packaging be carrying
substantial local patches for software that's maintained upstream by (at
least as I understand it) the same project?  Is there a separate policy
about what goes into upstream that precludes things that aren't considered
fully baked?

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>