On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 03:18:46PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Given that, your opinions about the quality of GNOME upstream development
> don't seem relevant to the problem we're trying to resolve.  If you don't
> like the software, don't use it.

Unfortunately, it doesn't save us, as the set of constraints of this
software may affect the future Debian policy.

Do we have any other software, that right now forces other to switch
the init system?  If not, "remove GNOME from Debian" could be an
option (and, may be, a good motivation for upstream to keep away from
insane changes, be more LSB-compatible).  There is no good reasons to
change long-standing Debian policy about alternative inits.

> Let the people who are interested in making the
> software work figure out what that entails.

"People who are interested" seems to be not interested in anything
except satisfying their requirements by new Debian policy.  But
the Debian is not just a Gnome launcher.