* Bdale Garbee (bd...@gag.com) [140208 20:50]:
> I expect that Debian can and should continue to support multiple init
> systems for the foreseeable future.  I also believe that Debian can and
> should take an active role working with upstream projects on software
> that is important to us, such as init system projects.

[...]

> - - - start ballot - - -
>
> We exercise our power to decide in cases of overlapping jurisdiction
> (6.1.2) by asserting that the default init system for Linux
> architectures in jessie should be
>
>   D    systemd
>
>   U    upstart
>
>   O    openrc
>
>   V    sysvinit (no change)
>
>   F    requires further discussion
>
> Should the project pass a General Resolution before the release of
> "jessie" asserting a "position statement about issues of the day" on
> init systems, that position replaces the outcome of this vote and is
> adopted by the Technical Committee as its own decision.
>
> - - - end ballot - - -

I'm unhappy with this resolution; in fact, after the discussions I
don't think it would be good to decide on an init system without
explicitly stating that users should be able to continue to make
different decisions on their own systems (and in hindsight it was an
error that I voted FD on the previous call for votes to allow textual
optimizations). This is especially true for systemd (I consider the
probability of people to depend soley on upstart to be lower) - after
some long thinking about this I came to the conclusion that I cannot
vote systemd above further discussion in the current scenario. (Also I
hope but don't expect that the discussions we had on our list are
enough for maintainers to not try to force a specific init system on
our users.)

Thus voting U, F, D, O, V.

Andi