On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 02:13:50PM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> Ian Jackson <ijack...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>
> (speaking as a Debian user, not as a TC member)
>
> > I'm afraid don't really want to do the work of writing a better UI.
> > But I have provided a simple patch which at least makes the behaviour
> > safe.
>
> Would it be sufficient to simply stop installing this largely-useless
> package at this point? In what environments do users typically have
> modems which work with AT-style commands?

ModemManager supports more than just those modems that work with AT
command sets; it supports the modern UMTS/3G/4G modems which don't even
support AT commands anymore, too.

> It would be far safer to not install this package than try to hack it up
> to keep it from breaking systems. Simply removing it from 'depends' on
> the handful of packages which currently list it would 'fix' this problem
> with a minimum of fuss.

Except that then for people who use NetworkManager, configuring their
mobile internet will stop functioning. While I agree with Ian that the
current behaviour of ModemManager is more than just highly annoying, it
cannot be said that ModemManager does not function as designed, nor that
it does not provide any useful functionality of which the loss would be
felt by those users who need it.

While dropping dependencies might make the issue somewhat less of a
problem, I don't think it's the right course of action.

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab