Hi Niels,

On Sun, Sep 27, 2026 at 10:35:27AM +0200, Niels Thykier wrote:
> It clarifies what I need. I still do not see why a maintainer would bother
> with removing this dependency outside the essential set. But perhaps it is
> better for me not to question what motivates the Debian volunteers to put
> extra burdens on themselves for what others perceive as dubious gains. So
> let us leave it at that. Related: @smcv, please consider my previous
> question as retracted.

Allow me to add to this aspect from a personal pov. You know that one of
my pet projects is enabling minimal installations. As such providing
mechanisms to reduce dependencies and functionality is something I
consider important. On the flip side, I (and others) agree that the
common case is to rely on systemd-tmpfiles being available. That's the
reason for having recommended that behavior as the default. I deviations
from that happening by demand. Say I have a particular embedded
application or container use case. Then, I can file patches to reduce
such dependencies.

In any case, my perception is that our differences are in nuances and we
already agree on the major aspects for varying reasons.

Helmut

Reply via email to