On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > Then you break things for no good reason. These "module builders" you
> > speak of should be using the same headers as glibc.
>
> Absolutely definitely not. Userland is different from kernelspace,
> and headers need not match at all. Feel free to search debian-devel
> or linux-kernel archives where that has been discussed way too
> often already.

Kernel modules exist in kernelspace, not userland. Building them against
any other headers than those used by glibc does nothing to improve the
stability or usefulness of Debian.

We don't try to control the version or configuration of the kernel on
working Debian systems. We only control the kernel provided for
installation. Trying to provide the special kernel feature needed by some
perculiar third party module, by providing a wide variety of "flavours" in
kernel-headers, is a philosophically broken point of view at the very
lease, and technically redundant to boot.

These statements are obviously based on my personal point of view, and
I've always been opposed to the kernel source in .deb format, but if we're
going to do it that way, then use the package manager tools to configure
this source on the target machine, providing proper compilation headers
for the installation architecture. Personally I have no use for even the
.dsc, .diff, and .tar.gz source, but acquire all my kernel source from
"the source".

Which reminds me, thanks for the pointer to the new 2.2.19 kernel, seems
to have fixed all my problems. It even recognizes all 128 meg of memory
without need of the mem= argument to LILO! (which is just as well because
I couldn't seem to get the syntax right anyway ;-)

I just barely got this one to squeeze into a zImage, so it doesn't seem to
matter that I'm strongly opposed to bloat. It happens anyway...

Personally, I can't imagine why Herbert wants to put more packages on his
management plate in the first place, much less why he thinks its good for
the rest of us. I'm doing my best to get rid of the useless, dangling
packages in my hands!

Luck,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-