I know that at one point the dselect/dpkg combination had fairly serious
problems if the same package name existed with multiple versions.  I learned
this the hard way when I installed from a mirror that had not run to
completion and thus had not deleted the older packages.

Dpkg installed _both_ versions of the packages at the same time and really
got screwed up.

The reason I bring this up is that there are now several package that are
_intentionally_ in the distribution multiple times with different versions:

  Debian-1.1-fixed/binary-i386/text/gs_2.62-2.deb
  non-free/binary/gs_4.01-2.deb

  Debian-1.1-fixed/binary-i386/text/gsfonts_2.62-2.deb
  non-free/binary/gsfonts_3.53-3.deb

  Debian-1.1-fixed/binary-i386/tex/lyx_0.9.23-1.deb
  contrib/binary/lyx_0.10.1-1.deb

These are already causing a bit of a problem with 'dftp' and I'm wondering
if they are/will cause problems with dselect/dpkg.

*** Bruce ***
What's the "official" word on duplicate packages this way?

                                          Brian
                                 ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] )