Hi,

is there any way to change the subject line of an already existing
bug report?  This hole is a really *serious* (not moderate) one -
it lets any local and remote users read any file on the system.

I think there are two possible ways to fix it:
(1) ignore the dangerous environment variables completely (is anyone
    actually using them?  I heard about them for the first time from
    the security alert...).  If anyone needs these features - create
    a separate full-featured resolver library people can use (for
    non-setuid programs only) by setting LD_PRELOAD.

(2) ignore them if (geteuid() != getuid() || getegid() != getgid()).
    Problem: you can pass them to login via telnetd, so telnetd
    needs to be fixed too.  Anyway, I think telnetd should do what
    the one in NetKit-0.08 does: allow only a few (known to be safe)
    environment variables, and don't allow the rest.  Right now, we
    check for a few variables known to be dangerous - and we can't
    be sure that there are no more.  The bash man page mentions
    BASH_ENV in one place, and it's not checked by telnetd.

Marek