Bruce Perens writes on debian-user and to lots of people:
> OK, I hear you - here's a note for the policy manual, Ian, if it isn't
> already in there.
>
> Varargs and libtermcap are provided to support end-users installing
> legacy software, and the few packages (like Netscape) that are not
> available to us in binary form. Debian packages should be ported to
> stdarg and ncurses when they are built, please.

I have added the attached text.  Let me know if you want something
changed.

Ian.

<sect>Obsolete constructs and libraries: varargs and libtermcap

<prgn/&lt;varargs.h&gt;/ is provided to support end-users compiling
very old software; libtermcap is provided to support the execution of
software which has been linked against it (either old programs or
those such as Netscape which are only available in binary form).

Debian packages should be ported to <prgn/&lt;stdarg.h&gt;/ and
ncurses when they are built.