Well all of this has been said on this thread here allready, but
I'll repeat it never the less to get the facts straight.

Zitiere Dominik Kubla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 05:30:12PM +0200, T.Pospisek's MailLists wrote:

> But the whole discussion here is folly. The whole thing has been
> discussed
on linux-kernel by people far more knowlegable in this things
> than the
average debian developer.  I think we should follow the
> conclusions
from that discussions: enable ECN by default and every
> non-compliant
device be dammned.

However you, or whoever on the kernel lists might argue, the default in
Linus' kernel sources is off! Please check it yourself.

> Mind you that we are only talking about firewalls here (and all of the
> can be fixed by firmware upgrades, or at least they should).

Fact is some aren't.

> Ordinary
routers have no business altering packets passing through and
> ordinary
hosts have to ignore "reserved bits" they don't know about.
> Routers
doing NAT are to be treated as firewalls.  If they are broken:
> replace
them.  They will have more bugs that this one anyway.

You are wellcome to be without a fault. Unfortunately a lot of HW/SW isn't.
And often enough it's not up to the user to replace it. He just has to live
with it.

I think Craig Sanders and Anthony Towns said it best:

Craig:

> the fact is that there is no possibility of harm if ECN is disabled
> in the kernel, while there IS possibility of harm if it is enabled.
> therefore it should be disabled by default.

Anthony:

> I'm not sure what you mean by "idealism" but surely it's obvious the
> solution that's closest to ideal for the most users should be chosen as
> the default.

*t