(not cc'ed to the bts)

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Nope, that's exactly what the OOM killer was designed to do.  Processes
> >> like syslogd is meant to be the last ones to be killed.
> > I am not at ease to go poking on the OOM, though. Someone else better used
> > to kernel programming should do it...
> The OOM killer should already do this as it is, no modifications are
> required...

I've just read the OOM killer in 2.4.17. It has provisions that tend NOT to
select klogd or syslogd in a system that has been running for a while, but
it may end up killing them.

It does this by assuming that such important stuff was started early, and
stayed put (i.e. was not restarted)... at least that is what I understood
from the code and comments.

Now, if you just upgraded sysklogd, or otherwise caused an important process
to restart, you are less safe against the OOM trying to kill what you did
NOT want it to kill.

Nowhere does it use the process name to lessen the chances of killing a
process. IMHO it would be a nice idea to have such a whitelist just in case.

  Henrique Holschuh