On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 04:03:27PM -0500, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-04-03 at 13:38, Rob Bradford wrote:
> > Ooh nice, maybe you could integrate with apt-spy or something to find
> > the fastest for the user?
>
> I don't see why not, though I'd be more inclined to add pin support
> first.  I had a crazy idea of doing directed graphs for country support,
> so you could just pick your country and the software would find the
> "closest" mirror.

It's not that simple. For example in Poland there are a few mirrors, and
the "closest" depends on the exact location/ISP of the user. Actually
pretty often some mirrors abroad are _much_ faster than the Polish ones.
Also the situation changes frequently (suddenly a very good mirror
becomes outdated or unreachable), so a tool that automatically probes
the mirrors via network is a must.

Marcin
--
Marcin Owsiany <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>             http://marcin.owsiany.pl/
GnuPG: 1024D/60F41216  FE67 DA2D 0ACA FC5E 3F75  D6F6 3A0D 8AA0 60F4 1216