On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 07:46:20PM -0800, Brian Nelson wrote:
> Debian's support for so many arches slows down development in other
> areas as well.  For example, getting gcc-3.2 working on all arches has [...]

That's not really a fair comment; yes, getting things to work on eleven
arches is harder than getting it to work on one, but it's not really
the key issue. We have one outstanding issue with gcc-3.2 at the moment,
which is that cmath on sparc doesn't work. Compare this to the outstanding
release critical bugs on glibc, most of which show up on i386 quite
happily. The oldest of these is a month old. Of the non-i386 specific
problems, only the "doesn't build on arm" bug needs a non-trivial fix.

That's not to say that supporting many arches doesn't slow down
development; it does, clearly: there's a significant amount more work to
do. But blaming our problems getting new software into each of unstable,
testing and stable on non-i386 architectures is really missing the point.

Cheers,
aj

--
Anthony Towns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/>