Emile van Bergen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a tapoté :

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 10:39:02PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 22 May 2003 17:06, Miles Bader wrote:
> > > You mean the iraq war?  What's the point?  How is avoiding the
> > > U.S. going to help anything, regardless of how strongly you feel about
> > > the U.S. governments acts or positions?
> >
> > When tourism goes down the hotel, entertainment, and airline industries
> > suffer.  If enough people boycott the US because of this then it'll keep
> > the
> > American economy down.
> >
> > If the US economy stays down long enough then the current government won't
> > last.  Rhetoric about imaginary enemies in Iraq doesn't satisfy people who
> > lose their jobs because of the economy sucking.
>
> Hm, as could be seen in Iraq, boycotts only strenghen the position of
> the rogue leaders ("See? They are all against us! We need to protect
> ourselves! You need a strong man to protect you!" Etc.)

Both points of view make sense.

Fact is selecting a location for an event which is outside USA seems a
good compromise for everybody.
People that do not want to go to USA are not forced to, others that do
not think USA should be avoided would surely agree to go elsewhere too.

--
Mathieu Roy

  Homepage:
    http://yeupou.coleumes.org