On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 01:27:04PM -0600, Dwayne C. Litzenberger wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 08:43:20AM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > On 24-Jul-03, 17:56 (CDT), "Dwayne C. Litzenberger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> > > Systems with large numbers of users (and normally use, for example
> > > /home/u/username), and filesystem which doesn't like large numbers of
> > > entries quickly might have performance problems.
> >
> > In which case, having all the files in /tmp is likely to be worse.
>
> Not necessarily.  With the current /tmp system, the only directory entries
> that are created are the ones that are actually needed at any given time.
> If we switch to /tmp/username, then there will be a directory entry in /tmp
> for *every user* who ever logs on.

Hang about.  You seem to have two different systems running here.  One where
files get cleaned out of /tmp sometimes, and one where they don't.  Is there
something fundamental to the user-tmp-dir thing that requires all user temp
dirs to exist at all times?  I would have thought that either of tmpreaper
or clean-on-boot would solve the excess directories problem.  There are no
shortage of programs that leave crap in /tmp after they're finished on my
system, at any rate.  Splitting those up into multiple per-user directories
could only improve matters, surely?

- Matt