Quoting Mark Brown ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> As a data point all the translations I've been sent since I can remember
> (certainly since I converted my packages to use po-debconf) have arrived
> as MIME attachments to bugs.  If there are any problems with their
> encoding they certainly haven't been reported to me.  If this is a
> problem it doesn't seem to be bothering many people.

po-debconf helps a lot there, because all you have to do is drop the
xx.po file in debian/po.

With the former (and still widely used) method for translating debconf
stuff, with templates.xx files along with the master templates files
or, even less easier, all translations in the same file, it was quite
easy for maintainers to mess up translations.

This is why, for instance, Ilgiz Kalmetev sent his old russian
translations for templates uuencoded. He does not do so anymore when
sending ru.po files because that isn't needed.

In this matter, for sure, po-debconfhas been a major
enhancement. Thanks to Denis Barbier and Joey Hess who made this
possible.