also sprach martin f krafft <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2004.10.20.0211 +0200]:
> Here's an idea I just had about apt-proxy/apt-cacher NG. Maybe this
> could be interesting, maybe it's just crap. Your call.

Some people asked how this differs from existing methods. Here are
my experiences:

1. apt-proxy:
  While I love the concept of apt-proxy, it works very unreliably.
  Frequently, the proxy fails to download the package or imposes
  very long delays (#272217, and others).

  If it does work, it's a performance hog. On my Opteron 3600+, my
  mouse starts to go jaggy when more than one machine accesses the
  cache at the same time.

  I have always missed the ability to surf the local repository.

2. apt-cacher:
  Also a very nice concept, I have found it rather unusable. Clients
  would time out as the streaming does not work reliably. Also,
  after using it for a day or two, I found 30 or more Perl zombies
  on the system from the CGI.

  Here too, it is not possible to browse the repository.

3. squid:
  Squid works reliably, but it has no concept of the APT repository
  and thus it is impossible to control what is cached and for how
  long. The release-codename symlinks can be worked around with
  a simple rewriter, but other than that, there are three parameters
  that seem relevant:

  maximum_object_size 131072 KB
  cache_dir aufs /var/spool/squid-apt 1024 16 256
  store_avg_object_size 100 Kb

  These values are what I came up with after two days of testing.
  The problematic one is the last one. It's at 13 Kb per default,
  and this causes squid not to reliably cache objects larger than
  35 Mb. Increasing it to 100 Kb causes even openoffice.org to be
  cached for some time, but the high average also causes smaller
  files to be removed earlier than they should be.

  If you have a better squid configuration for Debian, please share
  it!

  Squid works, but by Murphy's law it has always pruned exactly
  those packages that I later need, which are larger than what my
  cable line can handle in a couple of seconds, and if I am under
  time pressure.

  Squid, too, does not allow to browse the archive.

Thus, my proposal for an apache-integrated approach, which solves
most of the issues above and appears to me to be very simple and
transparent.

 .''`.     martin f. krafft <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
`. `'`