Guy, thanks for the explanation. I hope I got it right now.

Below is the new version of this section (currently 3.2.10 in Policy
Manual 2.1.3.2). Note that I merged the old section with the new one, a
few things have been changed and other things have been dropped. So
everbody, please check the new version carefully and tell me what you
think about it. If there are no objections, this section will be included
in Policy 2.2.0.0, replacing the old one.

Thanks,

Chris

- ------------snip----------------------------------------------

Site specific programs
- ----------------------

     As mandated by the FSSTND no package should place any files in
     `/usr/local', either by putting them in the filesystem archive to be
     unpacked by dpkg or by manipulating them in their maintainer scripts.

     However, the package should create empty directories below
     `/usr/local' so that the system administrator knows where to place
     site specific files. These directories should be removed on package
     removal if they are empty.

     Note, that this applies only to directories *below* `/usr/local', not
     *in* `/usr/local'. The directory `/usr/local' itself may only contain
     the sub-directories listed in FSSTND, section 4.8. However, you may
     create directories below them as you wish. You may not remove any of
     the directories listed in 4.8, even if you created them.

     Since `/usr/local' may be mounted read-only from a remote server,
     these directories have to be created and removed by the `postinst'
     and `prerm' maintainer scripts. These scripts must not fail if either
     of these operations fail.

     For example, the emacs package will contain
             mkdir -p /usr/local/lib/emacs/site-lisp || true
     in the `postinst' script, and
             rmdir /usr/local/lib/emacs/site-lisp && \
             rmdir /usr/local/lib/emacs || \
                true
     in the `prerm' script.

     If you do create a directory in `/usr/local' for local additions to a
     package, you must ensure that the package searches that directory
     before the equivalent directory in `/usr'.

     The `/usr/local' directory itself and all the subdirectories created
     by the package should have permissions 2775 (group-writeable and
     set-group-id) and be owned by `root.staff'.

- --                 Christian Schwarz
Do you know         [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
Debian GNU/Linux?    [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.debian.org   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/