Thomas Bushnell BSG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Matthew Garrett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> This argument suggests that we can shift drivers from contrib to main
>> simply by turning them into kernel patches and getting them included in
>> the stock kernel. This seems, uh, odd.
>
> That's our policy.  Every policy will have curious corner cases.
>::shrug::

It also means that I can upload a kernel image that contains all these
drivers, ensure that it's ABI compatible with the "official" kernels,
and then build udebs containing the firmware-requiring drivers. These
could then be grabbed by d-i. The drivers would then be available during
install.

So, for the cost of a relatively small amount of time, I could happily
ensure that all these drivers end up in main. This suggests that there's
something slightly wrong. The dependency on non-free code wouldn't have
changed in the slightest.

> But if you want a new policy, it should be discussed on debian-project
> or perhaps debian-policy.

I'm entirely happy to bring this up on debian-project.
--
Matthew Garrett | [EMAIL PROTECTED]