On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 04:08:12PM +0100, Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) wrote:
> Hello.

> Paul Hampson:

> > The email address isn't important, since
> > that has to be a subset of ASCII anyway.

> Are the Unicode-encoded domain names
> supported in (modern) browsers only?
>
> I can surf to http://Å.pl/ (with, e.g., Firefox) - can I send mail to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED], or should I always use the [EMAIL PROTECTED] equivalent, as
> the Unicode in domain names is restricted to WWW only?

Good point. Others have pointed out that you can. And the flipside is,
can I post to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

RFC2821 says:

Local-part = Dot-string / Quoted-string
Quoted-string = DQUOTE *qcontent DQUOTE1

While the above definition for Local-part is relatively permissive, for
maximum interoperability, a host that expects to receive mail SHOULD
avoid defining mailboxes where the Local-part requires (or uses) the
Quoted-string form or where the Local-part is case-sensitive.  For any
purposes that require generating or comparing Local-parts (e.g., to
specific mailbox names), all quoted forms MUST be treated as equivalent
and the sending system SHOULD transmit the form that uses the minimum
quoting possible.

Systems MUST NOT define mailboxes in such a way as to require the use in
SMTP of non-ASCII characters (octets with the high order bit set to one)
or ASCII "control characters" (decimal value 0-31 and 127).  These
characters MUST NOT be used in MAIL or RCPT commands or other commands
that require mailbox names.
==

RFC2821 doesn't give more detail than that about Quoted-string, so I
presume we would have to use something like the ACE encoding used
for domain names. A quick google didn't show up anything concrete, so
I have _no_ idea what çå would look like as an email box on my mail
server. I certainly think RFC2047 would be a bad idea:
=?ISO-8859-1?B?SWYgeW91IGNhbiByZWFkIHRoaXMgeW8=?=
(I have no idea what that says, I grabbed it from the RFC. It's base64
or something quite like it)

So the short answer is the email address in SMTP has to be a subset of
US-ASCII, but domain names can be handled by libidn and local-parts are
still in need of a standard.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.