In fact, as X maintainer, I requested that the 3.1.2 sources be
removed, oh, at least a couple of weeks ago (when I figured out that
they had nothing to do with *any* current tree, not even xcontrib...)

Perhaps it only got removed from unstable?
                        _Mark_ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                        The Herd of Kittens
                        Debian X Maintainer
[ps. as of 1997/6/5 1:29pm EDT, XFree86 3.3 has been released; I'm
downloading it now... yay...]