* A Mennucc [Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:52:15 +0100]:
> Henning Makholm wrote:

> >That is not a valid reason to pretend it is a native package. The
> >correct thing to do is to create a new .orig.tar.gz with the offending
> >files removed from it, but keep the rest of the .orig.tar.gz
> >unchanged.

> I object to this

> a file   mplayer....orig.tar.gz      is, as the name says, the original
> distributed source

> distributing my modified tar.gz disguising it as the upstream original
> one would be cause of confusion

  Apart from what others have said, take into account that a string
  modifier is added to make it clearer that is not the original tarball,
  e.g.: mplayer_1.0-preX.ds.1.orig.tar.gz. (It seems 'ds' is common for
  this use, and I believe it stands for 'Debian Source'; 'dfsg' is used
  too, but when the bits removed are non-free ones.)

  Just my 2˘,

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.
                -- Groucho Marx