* Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> Note that some packages, directly or indirectly, build-depend on
> packages containing daemons that will be started by default if
> installed. In that light, a firewall really is required to keep things
> safe.

IMO most notably, because many users will hit that:
KDE -> famd -> portmapper

While I would not judge on portmappers security, it is certainly not a service
which most users need to have exposed to the internet, and so it shouldn't be
by default.

Of course, the proper solution would be to a) do not make fam depend on
portmapper or b) alter portmapper to listen for local connections only,
neither of both has been implemented for some time now...

Sebastian

--
PGP-Key: http://www.mmweg.rwth-aachen.de/~sebastian.ley/public.key
Fingerprint: A46A 753F AEDC 2C01 BE6E  F6DB 97E0 3309 9FD6 E3E6