On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 02:54:40PM -0300, Jorge L. deLyra wrote:
> Installation via chroot can be very useful for embedded systems, and also
> for diskless machines that boot remotely from a server and mount the root
> via NFS. If a package is being installed via chroot running in the server
> it does not really make any sense to try to stop or start daemons.

[...]
> Now, all this can be avoided very simply by a line in the init.d/ script
> for the daemon, checking that /proc is mounted. Since it will be mounted
> on normal systems but typically not when using a chroot shell, it serves
> as a flag to enable the daemon restarting procedure.

FWIW, the Debian-amd64 HOWTO suggests mounting /proc in your i386
chroot too. (Though I don't know what the benefits are.)

See:
https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html#id274246

I think this is a good problem to solve though.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>