Eduard Bloch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello fellow maintainers,
>
> with organisation in groups becoming more and more popular, IMO it is now
> time to find some convention for declaring the group members and
> guidelines inside of the Debian source package.
>
> Some people call that file MAINTAINERS, some README.svn or similar, and
> some do not do this at all, so someone needs to ask somebody or get a
> crystal ball to learn about the repository of the maintainers. And the
> first way is annoying and your mail with stupid question may be posted
> on their development mailing list, which is not always the best thing.

Which *problem* do you want to address with that suggestion?  Isn't
one of the main points of group maintenance that any outsider just
contacts the group address, and the insiders decide who is going to be
responsible for a problem?  So shouldn't we rather establish a policy
that every group-maintained package should have a mailing list in its
maintainer field?n

Furthermore,  listing *current* contributors in a file might be not so
easy - how often do you need to post to a list to be "allowed in"?  Is
it sufficient to suggest features or implementations, or do we count
only people who send patches?  To me it seems this might even discourage
newbies.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster