On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 12:20:47AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 10:58:52PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> > > Becuase it is, in fact, a different program.  The higher numbered releases
> > > are of a non-free version of unrar.  The newer releases are of a free
> > > version
> > > that is going into main.

> > Then the new program should still have a higher version number, to allow
> > people who currently use the non-free program to upgrade to the free
> > program.

> > If the non-free program has more features than the free program,
> > however, then it should probably have a different name.

> The non-free program has more features, and I'm therefore still not a
> fan of the fact that the free version got the name of the non-free
> version while the non-free version was renamed.

> I don't believe it's a good way to convince people of the superiority of
> free software by automatically replacing non-free software with inferior
> free software on upgrades...

> Why didn't the non-free program simply keep it's name with the free
> program getting a different name?

> That the free unrar is a one year old version 0.0.1 (and there doesn't
> seem to be any more recent version) doesn't make it better...

> Repairing this issue by simply renaming the non-free package back to
> unrar and giving the free program a different name should be pretty
> straightforward and doable for sarge.

$ grep-excuses unrar
unrar (- to 1:0.0.1-1)
    Maintainer: Niklas Vainio
    320 days old (needed 10 days)
    Not touching package, as requested by freeze (contact debian-release if
update is needed)
    unrar (source, alpha, arm, hppa, i386, ia64, m68k, mips, mipsel, powerpc,
s390, sparc) is buggy! (3 > 0)
    Not considered
$ grep-excuses unrar-nonfree
unrar-nonfree (- to 3.4.3-1)
    Maintainer: Chris Anderson
    Section: non-free/utils
    171 days old (needed 10 days)
    Not touching package, as requested by freeze (contact debian-release if
update is needed)
    out of date on alpha: unrar-nonfree (from 3.3.6-2)
    out of date on mips: unrar-nonfree (from 3.3.6-2)
    out of date on mipsel: unrar-nonfree (from 3.3.6-2)
    unrar-nonfree (source, alpha, arm, hppa, i386, ia64, m68k, mips, mipsel,
powerpc, s390, sparc) is buggy! (1 > 0)
    Not considered
$

Not really an issue for sarge anyway...