Scripsit Ron Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 11:35 +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:

>> Except, this is _doubling_ a question that was already asked somewhere else,
>> ie, a bug.  The UNIX way of configuring the mail is setting up a binary that
>> knows how to deliver it as "/usr/sbin/sendmail"; it doesn't matter whether
>> that binary will do the work itself, run ssh -T foo sendmail, or toss the
>> mail to a smarthost.  The Debian way of configuring stuff is asking the
>> admin the relevant questions only once, and keeping the config in a shared
>> place.

> You're free to file a bug against every "Provides: mail-reader" app.

Serious bugs should certainly be filed against any MUA in Debian whose
default configuration is not to use /usr/sbin/sendmail for outgoing
mail. I don't know of any such packages in Debian; do you?

Personally I use mutt, which has never had the audacity to ask me for
external SMTP or IMAP addresses. I have no doubt that it would gladly
_accept_ such a specification if I needed to and cared to look up how
to configure it, but the _default_ configuration is to use the
_default_ mail transport mechanism in Debian, which is how it should be.

--
Henning Makholm                                      "Punctuation, is? fun!"