On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 01:53:29AM +0300, Jari Aalto+mail.linux wrote:

> Command line usage (or from Window manager menu):
>
>     call: x-spreadsheet

How would this be different from using the already-existing run-mailcap
command? And what happens if 95% of time I want to use one application
as the default, but in 5% of time I need an other one that has a
specific feature not present in the default app?

> The mime types benefits from the alternatives framework too, whcih
> currently use hard coded names (programs that user may not have
> installed:

The word 'alternatives' always rings a bell since the alternatives
framework is quite useless on multi-user systems when different users
are most certainly have preferences other than the sysadmin's.

run-mailcap can handle per-user configuration already.

>     application/msexcel; oocalc '%s ...
>
> Whereas the entried would better read:
>
>     application/msexcel; x-spreadsheet '%s ...

No. I as a user want to run the program I have selected, not what the
admin has selected.

> And the user selected program were configured with (and programs available
> would register themselves into):
>
>     update-alternatived --config x-spreadsheet

Normal users can't run update-alternatives since that requires root
privileges (and what would happen if two users want two different
applications to be the default?). This will not work.

Gabor