On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 08:14:48PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> For starters, we'd need a *lot* of hardware to be able to do all these
> builds. Many of them will fail, because there *will* be people who will
> neglect to test their builds, and they will hog the machine so that
> other people (who do test properly) have to wait a long time for their
> build to happen.

As it stands, I don't think this would be a shared service; but rather
something people setup on their own -- so you edit on your laptop, commit
to your server, and have the build happen remotely so you don't hear the
disk grind, or have your load average increase while you're busy trying
to play armagetron... It could be shared for team maintained things like
the X packages, but at least initially, I wouldn't think that would be
worth worrying about.

That's also why I lean towards pbuilder instead of sbuild -- sbuild is
great for building lots of packages continually; but pbuilder's better for
setting up quickly and easily without having to put much thought into it.

My guess would be that it ought to be possible to hack up a pretty simple
shell script that does this usefully, then build on it from there.

Cheers,
aj