On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 10:30:39AM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mardi 27 février 2007 à 09:24 +0100, Eduard Bloch a écrit :
> > And how do you help a maintainer that does not admit that he needs help?
>
> I can't believe people are thinking such crap.
>
> Please show me where a current maintainer of Mozilla, KDE, GNOME, the
> glibc, the kernel, X.org or any such big group of packages said he
> didn't need help for them.
>
> YES. WE NEED HELP. NOW.
> We are *all* *COMPLETELY UNDERSTAFFED*.
> We are drowning in bug reports and are not able to answer all of them,
> especially old ones dating from the pre-teams era.
>
> Who is not acknowledging such obvious things?

So how do you help a maintainer who refuses help if it is paid?

OK.  The large teams are *COMPLETELY UNDERSTAFFED*.  Volunteer labor
is not able to keep up.  Suppose we or some outside organization like
dunc-tank raised money to pay someone who could afford to work
full-time, 40 hours a week, doing bug triage for these large projects.

Would those projects refuse help if the people doing the work happened
if some of the people who showed up to help you from not "drowning in
bug reports" just happened to be paid by Debian or by an outside group
to do this work for which you have so eloquently said it's hard to get
volunteers, and for which others have said is completely unfun,
tedious work?

Even if one or two people (for reasons that I don't understand) would
stop spending maybe 10-12 hours a week on top of whatever they do
during the day to earn money to feed his family because there is now
some paid help, I would think that raising money to find someone to
work 40 hours a week would be a Good Thing....

                                                - Ted