Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         My mail client is a script, ~/bin/mail-handler; which, I think,
>  is not permissible  in reportbug-ng.  In other words, the user can not
>  configure the reporter; they can ask the author to add in some standard
>  mail clients; but not the non-standard ones.

It shouldn't be a huge problem to provide the option you want, but since
it is a rather exotic (I assume most people just use a mail client), it
isn't currently of high priority for me.

>> That's not true. As I already told you, all you have to do is to send
>> me a valid call of your mail client where the composer opens with to-,
>> subject- and body prefilled.
>
>         But this is not configuration; and the lack of configurability
>  is what I complained about.  I can't tell reportbug-ng about my one off
>  simple little script that does some stuff and sends mail out.
>
>         What you are talking about is your willingness to add in any of
>  thousands of mail clients that users might request (which, BTW, might
>  not scale all that well if reportbug-ng gets popular and all kinds of
>  people start sending in strange requests, and then later, other people
>  send in bug reports about how the behaviour of all the gazillion mail
>  clients has changed subtly and broken the bug reporting software).

I think realistically we're talking about roughly a dozen different mail
clients (surely not thousands) which should cover 99% of all users
needs. I don't see a problem here.

>> Most mail clients I know support either
>>   foo-mua mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]&body=foobody
>> or
>>   foo-mua -to [EMAIL PROTECTED] -subject foosubject -body foobody
>
>> Send me the name of your mail client you're missing and a working call
>> and I'll include it.
>
>         ~/bin/mail-handler --subject 'foosubject' --to 'tosomeone' < body
>
>         I can also handle the old BSD 4.4 Lite mail programs command
>  line syntax. What if the location changes? Or I change the syntax of my
>  mailing script (to, say, do some security related stuff [like passing
>  the mail through a guard program t redact sensitive material])?

I might add a pseudo mail client "command line" where you can use three
variables (to, subject and body) to construct you own call, but again
this hasn't currently a high priority for me although I'm sure I will
implement it some day.

Cheers,

Bastian

--
Bastian Venthur                                      http://venthur.de
Debian Developer                                 venthur at debian org