Manoj Srivastava <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>         Hmm.  Let us examine the two common cases:
>  a) User has not bought proprietary dictionaries.
>     i) With recommends installed by default; they can have a working
>        package.  Without that, the binary package is useless.
>    ii) With Depends, the binary ackage works.
>  b) User has proprietary dictionaries.
>     i) With recommends, the user can just install the proprietary
>        package first. The system works
>    ii) With Depends, there is a possible conflict; or else you have a
>        useless package installed, whether you want it or not.

>         If we are going to transition to installing Recommends by
>  default in lenny, I would say go with the Recommends, since it caters
>  to more users.

>         Or else, use Depends, but that makes the system less efficient
>  for those of our users who decide they want a partially  proprietary
>  solution (which we promise to support as well, as I recall).

Given that we're talking about only 500KB or so, Depends seems more
attractive to me as being a bit more reliable and working in more
configurations, *provided* that the presence of the free dictionary
doesn't break the non-free one when they're both installed.  Which I think
was left as an open question from the original message.

(I currently can't ues Recommends by default because of lsb-release, so I
have a bit of a vested interest in solutions that don't require that.)

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>