On 24-Oct-07, 11:52 (CDT), martin f krafft <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> also sprach Joerg Jaspert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007.10.24.1742 +0200]:
> > No. if we ever switch away from exim, which we should, (a move the exim
> > maintainer sure would love :), less bugreports), the only good option is
> > to use a package that does not listen on any interface by default and
> > just does local delivery.
> >
> > Something like nullmailer or ssmtp.
>
> postfix with minimal configuration will do exactly that.

It's still overkill for most user setups, assuming "most" is home
machines that need/want local delivery and send everything else to a
smarthost. Local delivery needs to include basic alias translation, so
that all the root email goes to the local user.

Neither ssmtp or nullmailer do local delivery, according to the
Descriptions.

Taking a quick look at eveything that Provides: mail-transport-agent,
it doesn't appear that any of the "small" mailers can do local delivery
and relay to a smarthost. Except maybe masqmail, but it also has
complications, which would be nice to avoid.

So maybe postfix (with a proper default config) *is* the minimal
solution.

FWIW, I use postfix everywhere, so I only need to deal with one MTA. I
find postfix more understandable than exim, but I know others feel the
reverse.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland