On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 04:39:11PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> This one is somewhat arguable.  Pure POSIX doesn't allow signal numbers,
> but the XSI extension to POSIX does and dash and posh both support them.
> We do not, in general, accept XSI extensions, but it's hard to argue
> strongly for excluding a feature that even posh supports.

Since 0.5.6, it does not; the only number it understands is the
pseudo-signal 0, mandated by POSIX.

The reason POSIX doesn't allow numbers is that they are inconsistent
from platform to platform.  People who learn signals on a commercial OS
of yore sometimes assume that signal 5 means something other than
SIGTRAP on Debian, and script traps and kills that end up not doing what
is intended.

When the names are used, this confusion is avoided.