[Mike Bird]
> Options include:
>
> 0) Issue error message and abort package installation.
> 1) Issue warning message and try to boot cliques in parallel.
> 2) Issue warning message and try to boot cliques in lexical order.
> 3) Issue warning message and try to boot cliques in installation order.

The only safe option to keep the machine booting and make sure errors
are not introduced into the boot sequence, is as far as I can see, to
pick option 0).  This is also the option picked by insserv now.
Option 1) (until all machines enable it) require activating parallel
booting when a loop is detected, not the best option to make sure a
machine keep booting after a loop error is introduced.  Options 2) and
3) do not guarantee a booting system, if one of the "core" scripts are
involved in the loop.

This is the reason I decided to go for the error message and abort
package installation option with insserv.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen