Felipe Sateler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I still don't understand why a SIGTERM is needed. If proper cleanup
> is not needed, why not just SIGKILL and be done with it? Is there a
> real reason?

My understanding only:

It is preferable for processes to clean up after themselves, which is
the semantic of SIGTERM. Only those processes which were not able to
do so in a timely manner will be abruptly killed with SIGKILL.

--
 \         “Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.”  (“Whatever is |
  `\                      said in Latin, sounds profound.”) —anonymous |