On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 10:54:41AM +0200, Thomas Weber wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 22.10.2008, 08:36 +0200 schrieb Bastian Blank:
> > On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 08:07:52AM +0200, Michal Čihař wrote:
> > > At least ipw2100 drivers changed firmware name if they required
> > > different version, so I guess this is also used by others...
> > If they need an incompatible one. Not necessarily if they just need a
> > newer one.
> I'm not really into hardware, but how often does kernel firmware change
> in an incompatible way?

The iwl4965 firmware changed 2 times incompatible since the driver
exists.

>                         It seems to defeat its purpose (providing a
> stable interface a driver can talk to).

No. Holding interfaces stable at all cost produces something like
Windows. In this case the interface will change, but you still can use
the old firmware using the old driver.

Bastian

--
There are always alternatives.
                -- Spock, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2822.3