On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 03:33:49PM +0100, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> For the sake of 10 binary firmwares, you want to make whole Debian
> depend upon non-free ? Wow, what an achievement.

ok, i think i came across in a wrong way, because that is certainly not
what i want!

but look at it this way: if we have a package that contains totally
non-free firmware which is required to make it work, we basically have a
few choices:

1. the whole package has to go to non-free
2. the package is split up into a non-free part and one that goes in
   main, which then cannot depend on the non-free one
3. the same, but with a dependency and the parts go to contrib and
   non-free respectively

if i understand things correctly than option 2 is what we are trying to
do with the kernel in the moment (correct me if i am wrong), and the
only thing i am saying is that having a package A which will not work
(in some cases) without package B should declare some kind of
relationship on it. simply because there *is* a relation between them...

doesn't that sound reasonable to you?

cu  robert

--
Robert Lemmen                               http://www.semistable.com