Hi Patrik and all,

> the abiword package, maintained by mhatta and joshk, could
> definitely use some more care. The version that is in Debian was
> released back in Nov 2006 [1], and it currently includes a grave bug
> that makes the package nearly unusable on amd64 [2].

> [1] http://www.abisource.com/downloads/abiword/
> [2] http://bugs.debian.org/514525

Well, the current Debian version is 2.6.4 (in stable and unstable),
released in 13-Jul-2008.  Seems Ubuntu Hardy somehow has 2.4.6, which
was released in Nov. 2006 and is definitely a really old version.  I
guess you confused that with Debian.

Anyway, this is merely a nitpicking -- the latest release is 2.6.8 and
the Debian package is not up-to-date anyway.

> According to db.debian.org, both maintainers seem to be on vacation.
> I have been trying to contact them more than a month ago, without
> reply.  Could a DD check whether they are planning to return
> sometime soon?

I was on vacation and am back to Debian only recently, but now
realized I have only sporadic free time now, and in the foreseeable
future.  I appreciate your help very much.

Seems I missed your previous mail; sorry about that.

> As already mentioned, the package is not very up-to-date, which is
> why I'd offer to take it over. As maintainer of the eboard package,
> I already have some experience in packaging and with the BTS.

I'm planning to form a maintenance team for abiword, move debian/ to
Alioth and use SVN or Git extensively.  How do you think?

Best regards,
MH

--
Masayuki Hatta <mha...@mhatta.org>