On 2009-04-29 07:46 (+0200), Adeodato Simó wrote:

> + Frank Lin PIAT (Tue, 28 Apr 2009 22:54:07 +0200):
>> If the sender of the previous email is subscribed to the list:

>> If the sender of the previous mail was NOT subscribed to the list.

> And how does one (or their MUA) know which of these is the case?

Yes, nobody knows (nor cares to spend time to find out) who are
subscribed and who are not. People join and leave all the time. People
read mailing lists different ways: some receive email as a subscriber,
some read the list through a mail to news gateway (like Gmane[1]), some
join to a discussion through an email-based bug tracker or web-based
mailing-list archive. Sometimes mails are cross-posted to several lists.

My opinion is that "reply to all" is the only way to manage different
situations reliably and without endless discussion and hassle about the
MUA configuration, email standards, Reply-Tos, Mail-Followup-Tos etc.
While I think the CoC in Debian lists is "broken" I don't have problems
obeying it myself and configuring my MUA to handle it easily.