James Vega wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 10:40:41PM +0200, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:
>> James Vega wrote:
>> >
>> > Any tool that a developer may use in the process of maintaining
>> > packages which leaves a file in debian/ now has to be documented in
>> > policy?
>>
>> No, but this is the main point!
>> If my uscan works with my debian/watch, why do you bug my debian/watch.

Would you please define what "my uscan" and "my debian/watch" are?
It would add more sense to your argument if you provide an example of what
you are talking about.

>> See?
>
> We're talking about debian/watch files using obsolete formats, for which
> Raphael would like to remove support.  This simplifies uscan's code,
> makes it easier to maintain, and makes it eaiser to split the watchfile
> parsing logic out into its own module.  The last point would then allow
> tools like Lintian to perform checks on the watchfile that aren't
> guesses but actually use the same parsing code as does uscan.

And not only lintian; I'm also working on DEHS2 which is mostly written in
perl, and as such I'd like to use the new uscan module to avoid shell-outs.

>> Without a proper reference, debian/watch is a developer file like others,
>> thus only developer can tell if it is correct or no.
>
> It has a proper reference.  The specification of the file format in
> uscan(1).

FWIW I do plan to write a watch files spec (which would be maintained by the
devscripts team) so that it is possible for any other tool to re-implement
uscan, propose other watch file formats and more, without actually having
to look at the code to determine the current behaviour.
This all of course depends on the devscripts team accepting it :)

>> But debian/watch is not used only for uscan, and now it is a important
>> tool for quality checks,
>
> Tools which currently invoke uscan, thus uscan is still the only tool to
> consume debian/watch.

There's also pkg-perl's PET tool, which has its own implementation of uscan,
which only supports version three (not even version two) watch files.

Cheers,
Raphael Geissert