On Wed, 06 May 2009, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> Of the two one:
>
> - We decide that mounting /usr remotely is a Debian goal.
>
>   If we do so, the mechanisms to make it work should not be as ad hoc
>   as this thread as hinted. We should provide a package explicitly
>   made to make this workflow tenable and point our users to it.

If we were limited by what debian (and d-i) can do out of the box this
would be a sad world.  And it'd make most software and Debian pretty
useless in a lot of cases.

It's kind of the job of a sysadmin to take what Debian (or any other
vendor) gives them and integrate this into an environment that fulfill's
the local requirements.

The level of support that Debian provides for mounting remote /usr
filesystems is apparently just fine or at least sufficient for the kind
of user that makes use of it.

Just don't break crap that has worked for years for no other reason than
"I want to".