Manoj Srivastava <sriva...@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, May 11 2009, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>
>> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <h...@debian.org> writes:

>>> No, RO / is a lot more difficult to pull off (remember: some of us don't
>>> want initrds), while RO /usr is really just a three-char change on fstab
>>> (and if you want apt to remount things automatically, two lines in a config
>>> file).
>>
>> Why would you need an initrd for a read-only /?
>>
>> A read-only / should work out of the box just like a read-only /usr. I
>
>         Except it does not.

I said should. :) Last I set one up it still needed some assembly but
that is being worked on. It is certainly within reach for Squeeze.

>> haven't installed a fresh one in a long while though so if you know of
>> problems speak up so bugs can be filed and packages can be fixed.
>
>         There is the /etc/mtab issue, and then there are things like
>  resolvconf that try to scribble in /etc.  I have not tried recently, so

The /etc/mtab problem is finaly solved for all cases (like quota
users) with kernel >2.6.26. There is a bug report about it and that is
hopefully soon to be made to work out of the box. No assembly required
then anymore.

Resolvconf uses /lib/init/rw so that isn't a stoper anymore.

ifup/down has some code for read-only / in it too.

>  I don't know if there are more blocker. Oh, and /root is a home
>  directory; unless we move that,  a read only / would affect root
>  negatively.

How so? Only thing I can think of is the bash history. But it is not
like we force a read-only /. That is a choice.

>         A read-only / would be nice, but unless you try it on a real
>  box, I don't think you assert it should be working out of the box.

I'm sure there are some packages out there that still don't work right
with read-only /. But none I use and thuse none I know about. As far
as I know the /etc/mtab issue is the last pending thing.

>         manoj

MfG
        Goswin