On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 13:00:13 +0200, Felix Zielcke wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 29.07.2009, 02:25 +0200 schrieb Vincent Danjean:
> > Hi,
> >
> >   Since a few days, on a stable machine (with stable, testing and
> > unstable sources for apt but APT::Default-Release set to "stable"),
> > "apt-get dist-upgrade" wants to install dash.
> >   Can someone explain me why ? Is it due to the fact that dash is
> > essential in unstable ?
>
> I assume it is.
> I thought I read somewhere that the reason why bash started to depend on
> dash would be that apt doestn't pull in new essential packages. Though
> on IRC I was told it does that already for a long time.
>
> So if you don't want dash installed to be on a system which mainly uses
> stable you have to remove unstable from sources.list
>
> But I think dash doestn't hurt, it's small and I use it as /bin/sh since
> a year or so without problems.

i think the real issue here is that getting dash pushed onto your stable
system is a somewhat unwelcome surprise (not that it is necessarily
harmful). it will certainly cause some concern for certain
security-conscious users since it is not coming from a point release or
DSA update, which may lead to paranoia of malicious activity.

perhaps an announcement should be made to state that this action is
expected and ok.

mike