Hi!

There's some packages which rely on HOME existing and often being
writtable. This is broken behaviour as the package does not have any
businesss verifying if it exists or writting outside of its build dir
(or /tmp).

Some of our buildds try to detect by setting HOME to something like
/non-existent. But then it gets pretty confusing for the maintainers
trying to reproduce those FTBFS (c.f. #544835).

So, I'd propose that any script used to build source should set HOME
to a non existent value. And we should probably ammend policy to state
that no source package should expect a working HOME. If no one opposes
I'll start filing bug reports.

thanks,
guillem