Wouter Verhelst schrieb:
> I might want to have a file with "1.0 (non-native)" to have dpkg error
> out when I accidentally don't have a .orig.tar.gz file somewhere, for
> instance. As long as the absense of that file does not make things
> suddenly break, I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

I wholeheartedly agree here.

> Of course, this all conveniently ignores the fact that the above
> explicit non-native option isn't actually supported, which is
> unfortunate...

Didn't check for this: Is a bug open to request such a feature to
explicitly say "1.0 (native)" or "1.0 (non-native)"? I would also find
this option really useful

> [...]
>> I did say until dpkg is fixed. I think the fix in dpkg needs to be that
>> the lack of debian/source/format uniquely identifies source format 1.0
>
> Unfortunately, "source format 1.0" actually encompasses *two* formats:
> native packages and non-native packages. I'm sure you've also
> incorrectly gotten native source packages on occasion when what you
> wanted was a non-native package.

Oh yes, unfortunately, I even once accidentally uploaded such a package
while doing a sponsored upload (did a rebuild but somehow managed to not
have the orig.tar.gz at the right place). Oh the shame ;-)

Regards,
Sven